Yahotin Station

Yahotin Station

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The long lunches, sans car

Dear Instructor Wilson,

You often mention "the long lunches" in class, and sometimes you add "house on the hill." Once you looked at me and added something about owning a car. I certainly wouldn't mind long lunches and a house on a hill (an urban hill), but I never want to own a car again.

Here is my incomplete list of reasons against car ownership:

Walking or biking increases awareness of my community. I see the seasons change, my neighbors change, and buildings rising up or being torn down. A car blends all these details into a blur. Buses can, too, except they are usually so plodding that you notice surroundings.

I save a busload of money. I don't pay for gas, maintenance, parking or insurance. This saves me thousands of dollars a year.

I decrease the burdens on the state. The less I drive on the state's roads, the less maintenance is required on those roads.

I reduce our country's dependence on foreign oil, thus reducing potential for armed conflict with oil-producing states.

I pollute less.

By taking the bus or walking the streets, I am in confined spaces with people I wouldn't normally come into contact with: more older people, more babies, more disabled folks, more folks of color, more speakers of foreign languages, more folks struggling to earn a living. This is an essential reminder of my privilege.

I feel GOOD. Driving stresses me out and forces me to be aggressive in order to protect myself. By the time I get to my destination, I am not in the ideal mental state. Additionally, more walking makes me feel even better.

I learn to wait and be patient. I remember to step aside.

I swear I am not a hippie, but I feel strongly about all of these things. I don't expect anyone else to agree with me or to give up their cars.

Your student,
Rita

1 comment:

Joe said...

"I swear I am not a hippie, but I feel strongly about all of these things"

Even if you were, Rita, you'd be (to use Christian Siriano's overused phrase) the fiercest hippie ever.

If work wasn't in Ingomar (outside the 'burgh), I wouldn't own a car, either.

Waiting in Yahotin

Waiting in Yahotin